Our HistoryOriginal Building

On the 28th of January 1913, Elder W.J. Anderson, Missionary of the Mt. Erie Association, began a meeting at the brick residence of Samuel Briscoe, located south of the railroad tracks on South Fourth Street. The result was a revival among the resident Baptists of Albion. Realizing the need of a Missionary Baptist Church, they covenanted to organize the First Baptist Church of Albion. Such action was taken at the first meeting on January 30, 1913, with 23 charter members.

The Unity Missionary Baptist Church of Edwards County, located on the old Carmi Road, requested union with the First Baptist Church on May 28, 1913. On Sunday, June 22nd, the two bodies met and united in Christian fellowship. They planned to move the Unity Church to Albion but it fell to pieces near the railroad tracks, so they continued to meet in various homes. Later services were held over the Blackburn Poultry House on West Main Street, in the Masonic Building, in the Courthouse, and finally in the Modern Woodmen Hall over the former Bunting Appliances Store at 35 North 5th Street.

In 1914 it was decided to build the brick building at 130 East Main Street. The material salvaged from the Unity Church, including the church bell, was used in its construction which cost $4,000. When completed, it remained the church home until February, 1959. Under the leadership of Rev. E.O. Martindale, the church body moved into its new educational building located at its present site at Fourth and Cherry. The sanctuary was completed and services were first held there August, 1960. In 1975 a beautiful seven-room parsonage, with an enclosed double garage, was built on property adjacent to the church, at a cost of $45,000.

In the last decade we have made several improvement to our building and to inhanced our worship experience:
In the Spring of 1998 work was completed on enlarging the men’s bathroom and on remodeling the kitchen. New cabinets and flooring were installed in the kitchen. The Fellowship Hall was also painted and new lights installed. The paneling in the hallways was cleaned and varnished in the fall of 1999 and new carpeting was layed in the Fellowship Hall and in the hallways in September of 1999. Soon after new doors and trim were varnished and installed on the lower level of the Education Building.
In 2000 we remodeled the stage area in the sancturay.
In the summer of 2002 we expanded our parking area.
In September of 2002 new windows were installed in the educational building.
In September of 2004 we added a women's handicap accessible restroom.
We purchased video projectors for the sanctuary and one portable one in 2006.
In the March of 2007 we came online with this web site. A digital recorder was purchased and we began making sermons available on line.
We put a new metal roof on the sanctuary in June of 2007.
Also in 2007 the acrylic windows covering the stained glass in the sanctuary were repaced with glass which allows their beauty to be seen on the outside of the building.
A new roof was put on the educational building in June of 2008.
We have approved updating the electrical wiring coming into the church and are just awaiting CHIPS to finish installing their new lines. In the near future, we are hoping to update the stage lighting and add dimmer capability in the sanctuary. The wiring had to be updated before this can be accomplished.

Through sunshine and shadows our congregation has moved progressively forward. Today church membership has grown to 287 and Sunday School enrollment to 232