On the 28th of January 1913, Elder W.J. Anderson, Missionary of the Mt. Erie Association, began a meeting at the brick residence of Samuel Briscoe, located south of the railroad tracks on South Fourth Street. The result was a revival among the resident Baptists of Albion. Realizing the need of a Missionary Baptist Church, they covenanted to organize the First Baptist Church of Albion. Such action was taken at the first meeting on January 30, 1913, with 23 charter members.
The Unity Missionary Baptist Church of Edwards County, located on the old Carmi Road, requested union with the First Baptist Church on May 28, 1913. On Sunday, June 22nd, the two bodies met and united in Christian fellowship. They planned to move the Unity Church to Albion but it fell to pieces near the railroad tracks, so they continued to meet in various homes. Later services were held over the Blackburn Poultry House on West Main Street, in the Masonic Building, in the Courthouse, and finally in the Modern Woodmen Hall over the former Bunting Appliances Store at 35 North 5th Street.
In 1914 it was decided to build the brick building at 130 East Main Street. The material salvaged from the Unity Church, including the church bell, was used in its construction which cost $4,000. When completed, it remained the church home until February, 1959. Under the leadership of Rev. E.O. Martindale, the church body moved into its new educational building located at its present site at Fourth and Cherry. The sanctuary was completed and services were first held there August, 1960. In 1975 a beautiful seven-room parsonage, with an enclosed double garage, was built on property adjacent to the church, at a cost of $45,000.
Through sunshine and shadows our congregation has moved progressively forward.